NHS England: advice regarding NHS volunteers relating to COVID-19
19th March 2021
An updated version of the advice regarding NHS volunteers has just been published by NHS England & NHS Improvement. The changes are highlighted in the guidance in yellow and include:
- A reminder that government guidance continues to permit volunteering where it can be done safely. NHSEI does not recommend that all volunteer services are suspended but rather that risks should be managed appropriately.
- A clearer explanation about who can volunteer at this time. For example, volunteers who are over 70 but not ‘clinically extremely vulnerable’ are permitted to volunteer outside the home, as long as risk management protocols are in place.
- Recruiting and onboarding volunteers: we’ve included updated links to DBS information, information governance advice, indemnity and passporting.
- Covid-19 testing: A reminder that volunteers in patient-facing roles are eligible for testing, alongside all other essential workers.
- Covid-19 vaccination: All NHS volunteers who are in contact with patients are eligible to receive the Covid-19 vaccine alongside other frontline health and care workers.
You might also be interested in: