Helpforce (“we”, “us”, or “our”) is committed to protecting and respecting the personal data that we hold. This privacy statement describes why and how we collect and use personal data and provides information about individuals’ rights. It applies to personal data provided to us, both by individuals themselves or by others. We may use personal data provided to us for the purposes described in this privacy statement or as made clear before collecting personal data.
Personal data is any information relating to an identified or identifiable living person. When collecting and using personal data, our policy is to be transparent about why and how we process personal data.
We process personal data for numerous purposes, and the means of collection, lawful basis of processing, use, disclosure, and retention periods for each purpose are set out in the relevant sections below.
The personal data that is provided to us is provided either directly from the individual concerned, from a third party acting on behalf of an individual.
Where we receive personal data that relates to an individual from a third party, we request that this third party inform the individual of the necessary information regarding the use of their data. Where necessary, reference may be made to this privacy statement.
We take the security of all the data we hold seriously. Staff are trained on data protection, confidentiality and security.
We have a framework of policies and procedures which ensure we regularly review the appropriateness of the measures we have in place to keep the data we hold secure.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Data that we hold
We provide services to individuals as well as organisations. The exact data held will depend on the services to be provided.
Where we engage with individuals, we may collect and process personal data in order to satisfy a contractual or operational obligation. We request that individuals only provide the personal data that is required for us to fulfil our contractual or operational obligation.
Why do we process data?
Where data is collected for professional services, it is used for a number of purposes, as follows;
- Services Provided – Data is processed when you have enquired into the services we provide or when we are currently providing services to you. These services include:
- Learning Networks – We will process your data to give you access to engage and communicate with other volunteers or health professionals on the same platform.
- Volunteers – We may process your data if you are a volunteer and you have taken part in volunteer pilot programme.
- Patients – We may process your data if you have taken part in an activity held by a volunteer.
- Events – we will process your data if you have expressed a wish to attend or you have actually attended one of our events.
- In order to manage and administer our business and services, we may collect and process personal data. This may include (but is not limited to) maintaining internal business records, managing client relationships, hosting events, and maintaining internal operating processes.
- Contractual – In order for Helpforce Community to do what it does, we may from time to time be required to collect and process personal data in order to fulfil contractual requirements.
What data is processed?
The data that is processed is dependent on the service that is being provided and on the recipient of this service.
- Name, address, DOB, medical records, next of kin, referrals, social worker details, power of attorney, photos, case studies, national insurance number, NHS Number.
How long do we hold data for?
We retain the personal data processed by us for as long as is considered necessary for the purpose(s) for which it was collected, there may also be occasions which will require data to be kept for longer, however this will typically be for legal purposes.
People who use our website
When people visit our website, personal data is collected both through automated tracking and interacting with various forms on the website or apps (collectively referred to as the websites).
Personal data may be collected when individuals fill in forms on our websites or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information provided when an individual registers to use our websites, subscribe to our service, make an enquiry.
For more information, please visit our Cookie’s Policy
Sharing personal data
We will only share personal data with our clients when we are legally permitted to do so. When we share data with others, we will do so with your explicit consent. We put contractual arrangements and security mechanisms in place to protect the data and to comply with our data protection, confidentiality and security standards.
Personal data held by us may be transferred to:
- Third party organisations that provide applications/functionality, data processing or IT services to us
- Funders may require us to share data with them.
- Creative / Research agencies may also receive some data to carry out research on our behalf.
- Consultants – we use external consultants to carry out work on our behalf and your data may need to be shared with them in order for them to do so.
Locations of processing
Individuals have certain rights over their personal data and data controllers are responsible for fulfilling these rights as follows:
- Individuals may request access to their personal data held by us as a data controller.
- Individuals may request us to rectify personal data submitted to us or, where appropriate, contact us via the relevant website registration page or by amending the personal details held on relevant applications with which they registered.
- Individuals may request that we erase their personal data
- Where we process personal data based on consent, individuals may withdraw their consent at any time by contacting us or clicking on the unsubscribe link in an email received from us.
- Individuals may have other rights to restrict or object to our processing of personal data and the right to data portability.
- Individuals may request information about, or human intervention into, any automated data processing that we may undertake.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please send an email to [email protected].
We hope that you won’t ever need to, but if you do want to complain about our use of personal data, please send an email with the details of your complaint to [email protected]. We will look into and respond to any complaints we receive.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the UK data protection regulator, the Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO”). For further information on your rights and how to complain to the ICO, please refer to the ICO website https://ico.org.uk/concerns
Data Controller and contact information
The data controller for Helpforce Community is Helpforce Community.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement or how and why we process personal data, please contact us at [email protected].
Changes to our privacy statement
Updates to this privacy statement will appear on this website. This privacy statement was last updated on 29/01/2019.