Wellbeing Telephone Call: Volunteer role description
31st March 2023
Thank you to University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust for sharing this role description.
Wellbeing telephone call volunteer
Why we need your help
We are looking for Wellbeing Telephone Call Volunteer to support patients on Waiting Lists and Post Discharge. Calls will be made from Derriford to the individuals to provide a friendly and supportive conversation. You will need to be a good listener and clear communicator with an empathetic nature to fulfil this role.
We know from other hospitals that calls made to discharged patients reduces readmission and increases awareness of community services for them and their carers. With support from NHS England this service is being brought to Derriford and we are looking for skilled and enthusiastic people to join our team.
What you will gain from this role
• Opportunity to hone conversational and interpersonal skills.
• Gain experience in talking to patients.
• Positively influence the wellbeing of patients therefore helping to relieve the pressure on the NHS.
• Achieve a sense of wellbeing by helping others.
• You will receive support and training to help you fulfil this role.
• Be part of a brilliant NHS volunteering team
What does a Well Being Phone Call Volunteer do?
• Speaks to patients via a phone call within a few days of leaving hospital to ensure they are ok and help direct them to support if they need it.
• Calls patients currently on waiting lists to reach out and keep in touch.
• Understands the need for confidentiality.
• Signposts to additional support if required using provided information.
• Raises any concerns if required.
• Helps to pack and distribute “Going home bags” of provisions for patients to take away with them when they leave hospital
For the full role description please download the attached PDF.
You may also be interested in:
- Outpatients volunteer
- Health promotion volunteer
- Heart & Soul listeners
- Palliative Care Befriender Volunteer
Our Volunteer Role Library has a number of variations of this type of role which you can find here.